About the Principal
Darrin R. Punchard, AICP, CFM
Darrin Punchard is an urban planning and resilience strategy consultant who has spent his entire career working to prevent natural hazards from becoming disasters. He has more than two decades of experience in hazard mitigation planning with specialized expertise in risk assessment, risk communication, benefit-cost analysis, and the development of actionable strategies for risk reduction. Darrin prepared some of the nation’s first federally-approved hazard mitigation plans following passage of the Disaster Mitigation Act of 2000 and to date has assisted more than 500 communities in similar efforts, with emphasis on integrated and participatory planning processes.
Darrin’s public service career includes serving as the state hazard mitigation officer for North Carolina, and as a local and state hazard mitigation planner in Florida. He entered the private sector in 2001 and went on to help three architecture/engineering firms launch their hazard mitigation planning practices. In 2016, he founded his consultancy with clients that include federal agencies, state governments, regional councils, cities, towns, private companies, and non-profit organizations. Today he remains a trusted advisor and recognized subject matter expert for clients at all levels of government and industry across the US and abroad.
For a full narrative biography, please click here.
- American Institute of Certified Planners
- Certified Floodplain Manager
- FEMA Hazus Trained Professional
- Certified Municipal Vulnerability Preparedness (MVP) Provider – MA
- American Planning Association
- Association of State Floodplain Managers
- Natural Hazard Mitigation Association
- Board of Directors, Natural Hazard Mitigation Association, 2011 – 2016
- Co-Founder and Advisory Board Member, American Planning Association, Hazard Mitigation & Disaster Recovery Planning Division
- National Advisory Board, Coastal Resilience Center, Beyond the Basics: Best Practices in Local Mitigation Planning
- Advisory Board Member, Texas A&M University, Plan Integration for Resilience Scorecard
- Steering Committee Member, Planning for Hazards: Land Use Solutions for Colorado
- Workshop Planning Committee, Natural Hazards Center
- Course Instructor, American Planning Association, PTS Workshop: Creating Climate-Adaptive and Hazard-Resilient Communities
- Guest Lecturer, Yale University and University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill